Saturday, May 16, 2009

That's Life

So lately I have been thinking about a man I met three years ago when I was training for the first marathon. One day I was doing my regular four mile run when I encountered some fierce young dachshunds heading straight for the my ankles. The dogs’ owner was a man in his eighties sitting on the porch with cigarette and beer in hand. He came to the street to retrieve his dogs and the first thing he said to me was what gorgeous eyes I have and introduced himself as Carl. Every time I would pass his house that summer his dogs would come for the ankles and Carl would quickly rise from his chair, cigarette and beer in hand, to see how my day was going and how far I was going to run. Carl was always ready to pull on the charm as he complimented me every time I saw him. One of my favorite memories of him is when someone was giving away a piano and left it on Highland Drive. When I came to the piano I saw Carl with a friend in his eighties trying to push this piano down the road. I offered my assistance but Carl snapped at me saying what kind of gentleman he would be if he let a lady move a piano.

A couple days after not completing the marathon I saw Carl again. He asked me how my race went and with head held down I shamefully told him that I did not finish it. His response was simply “sh.. happens”. He actually had that phrase on his shirt that day too. Sometimes in life you can get the most inspirational quotes about defeat but it really comes back to that simple phrase. To avoid cussing too much I’ll use the toned down term “life happens” Well my friends life happens. You may have a bad run, a terrible final, the guy you like doesn’t like you back or things just seem to not be going your way. That’s life; it is full of heartbreak, trials, tears and pains. Fortunately life is more wonderful than any of the pain we may feel because you will have great runs, good friends and family and days when you relish in the journey. I saw Carl a couple more times that summer and then I didn’t see him again. He wasn’t in the best health so I’m not surprised if he went to the spirit in the sky or maybe he moved to Albuquerque. Whatever the reason, I will remember how he didn’t let me fall victim to my circumstances that day. Frank Sinatra sings in his song That’s Life “Each time I find myself, flat on my face, I pick myself up and get back in the race”. Here I am my friends, back in the race.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Avery! This was the best post ever! I almost started crying because I needed to hear that. Being so close to going through the temple has put a lot of trails and temptations in my way but your post has given me new-found strength! I love you muchos and am so happy that you are one of my bridesmaids!